One thing you will hear from us time and time again during client consults: Let's lighten and brighten this space! Don't get us wrong, we love a richly-hued and moody office or sitting room. However, we highly recommend that our clients lean towards light and airy for main spaces. This helps to create a calming and inviting ambiance, and makes a room feel larger.
We encourage light walls, sheer white drapery, and white bedding.
However, these aren't the only ways to achieve a brighter look. If a room is heavy with dark wood furniture, a super simple way to lighten up is with a can of white spray paint.
Enter: old wooden side tables. We got this pair from a thrift store and were so excited to take them from boring brown to sparkling white by following these easy steps!
1. Remove all glass and/or hardware.
2. Thoroughly wipe tables clean of any dust and dirt with a dry rag.
3. If they have any chips/deep scratches, use a fine-grain sand paper to smooth them out. These did not, so we were good to go (either that or we're just lazy). Wipe away any sanding dust.
4. Choose your hue: We went with Krylon Gloss White. Matte finish or Chalk-finish is also a very popular, more rustic, look.
5. Spray away! Spray light even coats to avoid drips, allowing ample time to dry between coats. We recommend at least 2, and let dry completely.
6. Replace glass/reattach any hardware.
7. VOILA! An easy updated look!
Very pumped with how this table turned out! Now just need to finish the other one.....
Have you ever tried your hand at a spray paint furniture re-do? If not, GO for it! It is simple, fun, and an inexpensive way to achieve a total transformation.